Poached eggs are not a dish exclusive to fancy cafes or finest restaurants. You can easily make them at home as well. Whether perched on a salad or made into eggs Benedict, poached eggs are a healthy and delicious meal you can make anytime. Here’s how…
- Add at least 5 to 6 inches of water into a pot.
- Bring water to a boil, while seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
- When the water begins boiling, add approximately 1 tablespoon of vinegar for every pit of water. Vinegar helps the egg white to immediately turn white, while speeding up the cooking process so the egg doesn’t overcook.
- Reduce the heat temperature to bring the water to a slow simmer.
- Carefully crack an egg into a large ladle.
- Lower the ladle into the pot and pour the egg gently out into the simmering water. Swirling the water first to create a whirlpool effect can help the egg keep its shape.
- The egg white will turn white as it coagulates in the water.
- Most eggs require 2 – 3 minutes to cook the white, while still producing a runny yolk.
- After cooking, remove the egg by using a strainer or slotted spoon.
- Cut away loose strands of egg white if you wish to create a more attractive appearance.
Did You Know?
You can poach eggs ahead of time. Follow the steps above, but undercook them slightly. After removing from the heat, chill them in ice water and then reheat when ready to finish the cooking process.